Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 19 - Equipped for battle

Went to work today without spending time in prayer. Did not pursue the armor of God...Daniel was completely frustrating and annoying me...did not prepare lunch....raced out the door. Did pretty well at breakfast, though, in my own strength apparently.

I headed into work and right into a long 2-hour meeting. AS I am sitting there zoning in and out of focus on the meeting. Lisa (the owner) brought out dark chocolate covered fortune cookies to make a point in the meeting, Fortune cookies?...at 9am in the morning...absolutely...I ate it quickly and desperately wanted another one...I could barely pay attention...I was empty and I wanted to fill up with food.

Well, then, it was as if Satan himself walked into the room and set down 2 boxes on the table right in front of me. Inside were the most beautiful fruit danishes...large, vanilla iced..dripping with fruit-flavored filling...I was paralyzed. I couldn't get up and run.. I caved and ate 1 and picked at another during the rest of the meeting. I caved because...well, lots of reasons...all of them self-absorbed and pleasure seeking.

It is clearer to me than ever before how important it is to be equipped for the day. The equipping that the Lord has to offer far exceeds any resolve I can muster up for myself...and you never know when your exact strongest temptation (Frosted breads with fruit filling) is going to be dangled in front of you by the enemy.

I am not going to dwell on this day. I am just going to learn and move on...tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity to chose the path where beautiful pastries dancing in front of me are not my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment